Sunday, February 10, 2013

Favorite Part Of Winter (?)

The "No More WInter Whining" link party might have to back pedal a bit after the recent snowfall out east.  That's okay-- go ahead and whine!  The theme this final week is "Favorite Part of Winter."  Well, decades ago, I would have answered, "ice skating."  I used to love it, but for health reasons, I can no longer skate :(  Here are my (quite) old skates.

Those skates were old when I bought them.  My town used to have an annual used skate and ski sale.  I bought these there when I was 12 or so, and the funny part is there was a name written inside the boots; it was a good friend and neighbor of mine!  I talked to her a few years ago and mentioned I still had her skates.  She couldn't believe it.

Today, however, with a somewhat broken body and jaded attitude, there are a few things I would have to admit I like about winter.  Closed windows so I don't have to listen to my noisy neighbors.  Not having to run outside and yank clothes off the line because it started to rain.  No tornado warnings. Of course, Christmas, but I would have to say my favorite part of winter is: WHEN IT IS OVER!  These are the plants I showed last week, poking through the snow.  There is hope!
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. You captured it well, Diane. The memories of winter and the promise of spring. May you have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydian, thanks so much for joining in on our last week of this little game... short and sweet! I love love love the look of your old skates against the barrel, so vintage!... and yes, the promise of spring is a blessing on the heart! Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree: I was going to say "when it is over, too." I think crabbing is part of what helps me to cope with winter. There are pleasant aspects about it, but it simply lasts too long in northern climates. But then we have perfect springs, summers, and autumns to make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! I hear you! Yes, I'm always grateful when winter is over and I'm surrounded by color and blooms again. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those flowers were here when we moved in, and I'm no expert, but I think they are jonquils.

    ReplyDelete