Thursday, August 14, 2014

Leaf Printing

The idea this week at Shopping Our Stash is to use a tool that is old or use a vintage image. I went with an old technique and plain old markers-- leaf printing or it might be called leaf stamping. It's been so long since I first read about it, I don't remember now. I came across this technique about 25 years ago and made a bunch of note papers back then. Using real leaves, color the back side with a marker or use more than one for a different color effect. Then place it marker side down on your surface, cover with a scrap paper and rub it firmly. You can see the results below.


One note: after stamping the leaf, you can use a wet paintbrush and go over it here and there. The markers will run a bit and give a watercolor look. I didn't do that here, but that does usually turn out nice.

I decided to make a Christmas card since I just realized I don't have any new ones to put in my Etsy shop this season. Better get on that. Thanks to SOS for an excuse to get started.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Good for you on getting an early start to your Christmas cards and that leaf stamping is awesome! I will have to give that a try! Thanks for playing along with us at SHOPPING OUR STASH for the "Back in the Day" challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking Christmas already? Pretty card. I'm not ready for that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So effective, sometimes the old methods are the best! Lovely card Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very attractive card and nice technique employed! Thanks for playing with us this week at Shopping Our Stash!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh WOW!!! that looks soooooooooo cool! i think i sort of remember doing a technique like this in art class or summer camp or girlscouts? (so we're goin' back a bit here, for sure, lol!) i don't think it EVER looked as glamorous as this does, tho! thanks for SHOPPING YOUR STASH with us this week! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete